MayaSocial Capital, Third Spaces and Ability/Disabilities
Date: 22 September 2014
Najla Hammad and Maya Sheikh Alsouk
Second Life as a digitally mediated third place: Social capital in virtual world communities
Fern M. Delamere (2011)
In your opinion, what are the impacts of digital media on social life?
1. Scholars such as Putnam and Oldenberg argue that media has contributed to the decline of socialcapital. Do you agree? Explain.
2. Following the video posted below on Hackpad. What kind of impact does virtual world have on disabled people?
3. In the article, the author mentions, “20 percent of casual gamers have disability Vs. 15 percent of the general population”. What do you think is the main reason behind the engagement of disabled people in virtual worlds?
4. In your opinion, what types of challenges and constraints does the virtual world present to disabled people?
5. Once disabled individuals are back to reality they realize their disability and incapability. Do you agree with this statement, if not why?